Love the Body you LIVE in!
by Stacy Wegner
One of the most commonly asked questions during a St. Francis Center for Surgical Weight Loss seminar is, “will I have loose skin after surgery?” After seeing the other side of weight loss surgery, the incredible results and dramatic positive impact on the patients’ lives, the concern over loose skin often becomes a lot less important. Patients’ perspectives change when they realize that they hadn’t been living at all and now have a life that they could’ve only dreamed of.
Here are some of the exciting changes we typically see after weight loss surgery:
- They no longer are limited by their joint pain
- They no longer have diabetes
- They no longer have high blood pressure
- They have lowered their cholesterol
- They are off most or all of their medications
- They can walk without pain
- They can exercise and are living a more active lifestyle
- They no longer walk with a cane or need a wheelchair
- They can fit in regular sized seats in an amusement park or on a plane (no longer needing a belt extender)
- They can shop at regular-sized clothing stores.
- They have now been able to conceive a child, after many years of infertility
- They can travel
- They can participate in activities with their children and grandchildren
- They no longer have heartburn
- They no longer feel judged or looked down upon by others, for being overweight
The biggest benefit of losing over one hundred pounds is the quality of life. This not only benefits their health, but also benefits their psychological and emotional well being as well as increasing levels of happiness.
It’s okay to want to look good, but it’s really about being ALIVE and being thankful that you are healthy, growing stronger and have the ability to share a longer, better life with those you love.
Don’t compare yourself to others. Realize that you have improved health and energy. You are no longer a slave to obesity. You have so much potential that the sky is the limit. Love the body you can now live life to the fullest in!
Stacy Wegner is a passionate advocate for living a balanced and healthy lifestyle. She is a certified physicians’ assistant and married to Dr. Robert Wegner, Saint Francis Center for Surgical Weight Loss Bariatric Surgeon.