Health Tip: Host a Healthier Holiday Meal
(HealthDay News) — If you’re hosting a meal this holiday season, do your guests a favor and make it a heart-healthier one.
The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions recommends:
- Start with healthy appetizers, such as whole-grain crackers, cut vegetables, hummus, low-fat dressings or unsalted nuts.
- Cut or eliminate salt from your recipes, flavoring with other seasonings instead. Make your own gravy, using low-sodium broth.
- Make mashed potatoes with low-sodium chicken broth, roasted garlic and fat-free evaporated milk.
- Use whole-wheat bread crumbs, onions and celery, dried fruit and less butter for healthier stuffing.
- Bake your own desserts to avoid trans fats.