Five reputable products/companies recommended for patients after weight loss surgery
(Listed alphabetically in no favorable order)
At the end of the day, you have to choose a product that works best for YOU. What works for one patient might not work for another. Lots of factors play into your choices…cost, quality, taste, and convenience!
- Bariatric Advantage® www.BariatricAdvantage.com. You will enter validation code: SFCSWL to let them know you’re a weight loss surgery patient from our center! This company is dedicated to weight loss surgery patients only! ALL of their products meet the current American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) guidelines. They offer a wide variety of products from vitamin/mineral supplements, protein powders and meal replacements to NEW probiotic supplements! Some of our favorites based on patient feedback and surgeon recommendations include: Calcium Citrate Chewy bite 500s and FloraVantage Chewable Probiotic
- Celebrate www.celebratevitamins.com. This company is dedicated to weight loss surgery patients only! ALL of their products meet the current ASMBS guidelines. They believe in offering lots of avenues to take your vitamins that include: drink mix, chewable, capsules/tablets and soft chews.
- Nascobal®/Bariactiv www.nascobal.com. This is one of the ONLY programs that insurance will potentially cover. ALL of their products meet the current ASMBS guidelines. The reason that insurance will potentially cover this program is because the B12 nasal spray called Nascobal® requires a prescription. This program is able to encompass the other recommended vitamin/mineral supplements as a “package deal”. Patients will enroll through our center (details/instructions for enrollment will be given during nutrition education classes as well as when the patient comes in to meet with surgeon for a surgery date). Other vitamin/mineral supplements included in the program include: Bariactiv multivitamin, Bariactiv iron and Bariactiv Calcium Citrate. This program does NOT offer any protein supplements/meal replacements.
- Syntrax® nectar protein www.syntraxnectarprotein.com. This protein powder is not specifically targeted for post bariatric surgery patients, however it meets the criteria of being a high quality, whey protein isolate protein powder. One of the concepts that patients really love about this particular protein powder is that it comes in lots of fruit juice flavors such as: apple, lemon, grapefruit, strawberry, kiwi, etc. They include fun names like “Caribbean Cooler”, “Twisted Cherry”, and “Fuzzy Naval”. Patients might burn out on the “milky textured” type flavors such as the standard vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. This gives patients another great option to help fulfill their protein goals.
- Unjury® www.unjury.com for protein supplements and Opurity® www.opurity.com for vitamin/mineral supplements. UNJURY® is a Medical Quality Protein™, which means strict standards must be met since they are offered on formulary in hospitals. The OPURITY® line of vitamin/mineral supplements was formulated for weight loss surgery patients. ALL products meet the ASMBS guidelines. This company is proud that ALL of their products are also China-Free™! The founder/president of UNJURY® is a MS, RD dietitian! All customer service representatives are registered dietitians. All of their protein powers are high quality, whey protein isolate and contain NO lactose or artificial fillers. Patients share that they really like the taste and dissolvability of these protein powders. Classic flavors such as chocolate, vanilla and strawberry are offered as well as unflavored and chicken soup flavors. The unflavored can be mixed into soft foods and even sugar-free beverages and the chicken soup offers a “savory” flavor option for those cold months ahead! Their website offers a plethora of protein shake recipe suggestions/ideas.
There are A LOT of companies both specializing and not specializing in weight loss surgery products! We understand it can be overwhelming and sometimes confusing. Samples of several of our “favorites” are kept in stock in the dietitians’ office. If you have any questions and/or concerns about any company or product not listed under our “favorites”, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our dietitians.
Jamie Carpenter, MS,RD,LDN